Tuesday 15 November 2011

Mark Willett - Beyond the Marathon ...

About 10 miles beyond in fact - as a huge 36 miles was the distance of my first Ultramarathon along Marriott's Way in Norwich, on Sunday 6th November. And I loved itI'd driven down to Norwich on the Friday afternoon, to stay with my cousins - and then spent Saturday doingabsolutely nothing. I wanted to completely rest my body ahead of Sunday's race, so did just that - and was even tucked-up in bed for 9pm. I awoke at 5.30am on race day ready and excited for the race - which was due off at 8am. I had a light breakfast (my usual cereal bars and diluted lucozade), prepared my kit for the day (including backpack / bladder with gels and spare socks, t-shirt etc.), used the bathroom (very important ahead of such a long race) and then headed out at 7am. I arrived at Halford's Car Park in the centre of town at dead on 7.30am and soon after everyone else arrived to register.

The Marriott's Way Ultra is organised by Tri-Angliawho volunteer their time to allow people like me (ie. debutants over 26.2 miles) to get a feel for Ultra running. There is no race fee - but I'm sure that they could charge a decent sum if they wished, as they all did a fantastic job ahead of and during the raceI was issued with my race number - well, a big number 8 was written on my hand in black marker pen (I said it was free) - and then it was time for the off! The out-and-back route to Reepham Station meant that the 60 runners could choose from 18 or 36 miles but I hadn't a clue who was doing what as we set off. 

Prior to the race I'd decided to target around 8.30/mile pace - which would be just over 5 hours for the full 36 miles if I could hang on - or roughly 1 min slower than my marathon PB pace. Early on I just couldn't seem to resist going that bit too fast, so ended up between 8.05-8.15/mile! I got chatting to a couple of guys from Reepham Road Runners who were moving at that quicker pace and it felt comfortable to stay with them for the first 13-15 miles or so. On reflection it was pretty obvious why they were running that bit quicker than me - they were all stopping at Reepham as it was "home" for them!

So the turn arrived at around 2hrs 28 - or 8.13/mile - and I pretty much knew that those 15-25 secs per mile of extra speed would come back to haunt me later. I'd actually made it to halfway before my cousins arrived there to cheer me on - so I must have been too fast!

As I'd approached the station I'd started to count off the runners coming back towards me, starting their "home" legs. One, two, three .... and that was it .... I was in 4th place! I registered my arrival at the checkpoint, took some water and jelly beans on board and then walked out of the station to ease my legs back into it.Immediately after that I was passed by another runner - but rather than react, I decided there and then that I'd simply look to consolidate that 5th place as best as I could. This seemed a wise choice as I watched the guy in front disappear off into the distance rather rapidly (he would finish 2nd).

I was soon back into my running, albeit deliberately slower than earlier - and I must say that the second half of the race was a lonely old business after my "social" first 18 miles. I listened to a few tracks on my iPod and began to split the remaining race distance into manageable chunks in my head. The 20 mile point soon came up and then 22 was reached (notable as my cousins turned up unexpectedly to give me a much needed boost!) - then my focus turned to reaching full marathon distance. Those 4-and-a-bit miles seemed to take an age but I eventually got there at about 3.44 - so the 8-ish miles since the turn had been at just over 9 minute miles (I'd had a couple of walking breaks). 

I was now into unknown territory - and I was already suffering a fair bit. 

From about 5 miles in, despite wearing strategically placed compeed plasters, both of my feet had started to blister and feel really sore. Whilst running and talking with others I'd been able to put it to the back of my head, now they were really aching. I considered taking some ibuprofen (carried in case my ankle niggle played up) but decided to try and block the pain out instead. Between 26 and 32 miles was actually the hardest part of the race for me - with the walking breaks becoming more and more frequent. I was feeling drained mentally too, continually fighting with myself, forcing myself to keep going - then I spotted another runner ahead of me. I actually got a real lift from that - there was actually someone else in sight! 

I vowed to keep running until I got halfway across the gap, then managed to push on until I was alongside him. We exchanged a few words whilst walk / running (Ultras are very friendly / social occasions you know) and then I moved away .... seeing a second runner slightly further ahead (blimey it was total gridlock by now!). It took me a while to catch him up - and when I did we chatted and ran together for a couple of minutes. Then I put my head down and somehow managed to up the pace. 

By now there was only a couple of miles to go, so I tried to run as much as I could. Earlier on I'd worked out that I'd likely finish somewhere between 5hrs15 and 5hrs30 - but now I wanted to squeeze under the5hrs15 mark if I could. Two of the support cyclists working the route pulled alongside with about a mile to go and so I talked a little with them to get my mind off the plodding - it really helped. When they finally rode off there was only 500m to go and soon after I could see the finish line. I upped my pace (probably only in my head) to do a sort of sprint finish and then that was it - race finished - first Ultra done!
 
And I'd finished in 3rd place - in 5.13.22! 

I took a long drink and chatted with the organisers and the first two runners back the winning time was a creditable 4hrs 51, second was 5hrs05. After a few handshakes and once a few more runners had crossed the line I then said my goodbyes and headed off. Once back at my cousins I took a nice long soak in the bathand nursed my quite badly blistered feet. Ouch! After the bath I got dressed and headed out to the pub with my cousins, Aunt and Uncle - where we had an absolutely superb 3 course meal. I had the steak. 
 
So a fantastic end to a fantastic experience! I certainly won't forget my first Ultra ..... nor will my feet!


Link to Lytham St Annes Road Runners Website

No comments:

Post a Comment